- This page borrows text from the Wikipedia article.
The single was released in late September 1997 on Tommy Boy Records. It consists of samples of songs and phrases from popular dance, eurodance and rap recordings, either sport-themed or not, that were released on previous volumes of the Jock Jams compilation series. It appeared on Jock Jams volume 3, even though most of the songs contained in this mix were released on the two previous volumes. Those are mixed in a three-minute megamix fashion, mixed and produced by Rich "DJ Riddler" Pangilinan and Bobby Dedic.
This song received massive radio airplay when it was released, notably in United States and Canada, which is a rare feat for a dance mash-up. The song peaked at 31 on the Billboard hot 100 and was certified gold by the RIAA on October 22, 1997 for sales of 500,000 copies.
There are two other Jock Jam mixes besides this one; both were released on the next installment of the series.
Many songs and samples were used in the making of this recording. In order of appearance:
- Michael Buffer - "Let's get ready to rumble!" (quote)
- 2 Unlimited - "Get Ready for This"
- Tag Team - "Whoomp! (There It Is)"
- Technotronic - "Pump Up the Jam"
- Amber - "This Is Your Night"
- Faith No More - "Be Aggressive"
- Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock - "It Takes Two"
- Reel 2 Real - "I Like to Move It"
- The Goodmen - "Give It Up"
- The Outhere Brothers - "Boom Boom Boom"
- Dan Patrick - "Simply en fuego." (quote)
- Keith Olbermann - "Welcome to the big show." (quote)
- 69 Boyz - "Tootsee Roll"
- 2 Unlimited - "Twilight Zone"
- The Bucketheads - "The Bomb! (These Sounds Fall into My Mind)"
- Black Box - "Strike It Up"
- Jock Jam Cheerleaders - "Action, Boys, Action"
- Gary Glitter - "Rock and Roll (Part 2)"
- Chris Berman - "He could. go. all. the. way!" (quote)
- Village People - "Y.M.C.A."
- Black Box - "Everybody Everybody"
- C+C Music Factory - "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)"